Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Tax Q&A: Renting out your permanent residence and CGTs

Notify me of new replies via email
Your Investment Property | 11 Jun 2015, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Shukri Barbara and Angelo Panagopoulos explain when and how your CGT applies to certain properties and how you can rent out your permanent residence.
  • Peter Welson | 16 Aug 2017, 01:29 AM Agree 0

    I'm a first home buyer and going to move in my new house for at least 6 months to be eligible for FHOG and rent out the other three rooms during that time (say one room will be rented out one month after moving in). As the new home is too far from my work, I'm planning to move out back to live close to my work after those 6 months.

    Would I be still eligible for CGT free for six years rental as the dwelling was occupied from acquisition? It's also said no minimum period of occupancy from acquisition required, isn't correct? Will these six months be included in the six years free period?

    Also, I've had an investment loan to boost my borrowing capacity by including expected rental income, does the type of loan affect or disapprove in any way my intention to be an owner occupier to nominate this house as a main residence OR to claim FHOG?

    Since the house was constructed by a builder, can the interest paid during last financial year be deducted as expenses in my tax return claim as it is now an investment loan while in the same time I can nominate my house soon as a main residence (not investment property) without any problem once I obtain the certificate of occupancy (since ATO would be already received a claim for tax return as an investment property)?

    I hope my post is clear enough as I'm originally not coming from English background.

    Thanks for response
  • YIP | 16 Aug 2017, 12:18 PM Agree 0
    Thank you for your enquiry! We can pass this on to one of our tax experts for inclusion in YIP magazine. Please email us at if you would like this to go forward. Many thanks!
Post a reply