What obligations do I have to current tenants?


Question: I’m 39 years old and own a four-bedroom property on Oxford Street, Sydney, that I wish to sell. The property is currently leased for less than its market value as a share house, though the lease is a fixed-term agreement with one tenant. I am concerned that the low rent I am currently charging will affect the price I may get for the property, but am not sure whether I can evict the current tenants or increase their monthly rent to bring the property back up to value. What legal obligations do I have to the current tenants if I put the house on the market?

Answer: You have not told us whether your tenants are on an expired or current lease. If the lease has expired, you are able to either notify them of a rental increase or give them 60 days’ notice to vacate the property and then you can either sell the property with vacant possession or find new tenants at a higher rental and sell the property subject to the new tenancy.

You should discuss the matter with the selling agent you propose using to ascertain whether the particular property you are selling is likely to be more attractive to prospective purchasers if sold vacant or with tenants.

If the tenants are on a current and unexpired lease, you are not able to evict the tenants or increase the rental without the agreement of the tenants.

George Vlahakis  
George Vlahakis is a solicitor with Kydon Segal Lawyers

If you have a question for our experts, email it to: editor@yipmag.com.au

Disclaimer: No magazine article can consider your individual circumstances or personal needs in relation to your sale or purchase transaction. You should seek advice for your particular circumstances before entering into any transaction.

Whether you are looking to buy your first home, move home, refinance, or invest in property, a mortgage broker can help. Access loans from all the major lenders, get help with paperwork – plus there is no charge for this service. Get help from a local mortgage broker

Top Suburbs : the basin , woolloongabba , coolbellup , thebarton , campsie

go back

Get help with your investment property

Do you need help finding the right loan for your investment?

When investing in property, it is important to make sure that you not only have the lowest available rate that you can get, but also have the correct loan features for your needs.

Just fill in a few details below and we'll then arrange for a local Aussie Mortgage Broker to contact you and work out what features or types of loans are right for your needs. We'll even help with the paperwork. Plus and appointment is free.

How soon would you like a mortgage?
What is your Annual Household Income i $
Do you currently own any Investment Properties?
Do you own your own residence?
How much equity do you have in all your current properties?
First Name
Last Name
Where do you live?
What number can we reach you on?
E-mail address
We value your privacy and treat all your information seriously - you can check out our privacy policy here