Domestic violence reform for NSW rental laws

By |
Residential tenancy laws in New South Wales are set to be altered to provide greater protection to victims of domestic violence.

New South Wales Minister for Innovation and Better Regulation Victor Dominello yesterday announced proposed reforms to the state’s residential tenancy laws aimed at ensuring victims of domestic violence are not put at further risk of harm due to a rental agreement.

Under the proposed changes, domestic violence victims will be able to terminate residential tenancy agreements immediately by providing evidence of domestic violence through a provisional, interim or final AVO, or court order.

The proposals will also mean that victims of domestic violence cannot be held liable for property damaged or rental debt caused by a violent partner. Landlords, property managers and real estate agents would also be prohibited from placing victims on tenancy databases holding such information.

Dominello said the changes, which are expected to be introduced into Parliament during the first half of 2017, will fix what is currently an “unacceptable” situation.
“Currently victims of domestic violence on a fixed lease have to give 14 days’ notice to their landlord, with potential liabilities, and provide them with a final AVO which can take months to obtain. This is an unacceptable and often burdensome process for people living in dangerous situations,” he said.

“The new laws will provide victims with certainty that they won’t be penalised in future rental applications. They also include stronger safety measures as a provisional AVO can be obtained quickly without court hearings.”

Minister for the Prevention of Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Pru Goward also backed the reforms.

“Leaving a violent relationship can be one of the most challenging decisions anyone makes and we are getting rid of the red tape and streamlining the system to support domestic violence victims to leave,” Goward said.

Whether you are looking to buy your first home, move home, refinance, or invest in property, a mortgage broker can help. Access loans from all the major lenders, get help with paperwork – plus there is no charge for this service. Get help from a local mortgage broker

Top Suburbs : rooty hill , flemington , upper kedron , mortdale , cardiff south

go back

Get help with your investment property

Do you need help finding the right loan for your investment?

When investing in property, it is important to make sure that you not only have the lowest available rate that you can get, but also have the correct loan features for your needs.

Just fill in a few details below and we'll then arrange for a local Aussie Mortgage Broker to contact you and work out what features or types of loans are right for your needs. We'll even help with the paperwork. Plus and appointment is free.

How soon would you like a mortgage?
What is your Annual Household Income i $
Do you currently own any Investment Properties?
Do you own your own residence?
How much equity do you have in all your current properties?
First Name
Last Name
Where do you live?
What number can we reach you on?
E-mail address
We value your privacy and treat all your information seriously - you can check out our privacy policy here