How to tell a spruiker from a professional?

By Sarah Megginson | 18 Nov 2019

It can be hard to tell when a property “advisor” you’re dealing with is the real deal, or whether they’re more interested in lining their own pockets.

After all, they can come across as one in the same: professional, confident, experienced and seemingly with your best interests at heart.

So as an investor, how can you tell the difference between the two?

Unfortunately, investors are all too often blindsided by “spruikers” who are masquerading as qualified property investment professionals – and the financial consequences could be catastrophic, according to two peak industry bodies.

Too many stories of investors and everyday Australians who have lost their life savings in dodgy deals has prompted the Property Investment Professionals of Australia (PIPA) and the Property Investors Council of Australia (PICA) to join forces, in an effort to warn consumers about unscrupulous operators.

“PIPA has heard of buyers being offered ‘cash back’ deals of tens of thousands of dollars to encourage them to buy inferior properties,” said Peter Koulizos, PIPA chairman.

“Of course, the ‘cash’ isn’t real because it’s built into the sales price so, in essence, buyers are paying for their own supposed windfalls.”

PICA chairman Ben Kingsley added that property investment spruikers often made their money by accepting huge commissions, worth up to $50,000 per deal, to promote substandard property investment ‘opportunities’ to investors.

How can investors protect themselves against these dodgy operators?

By asking as many questions as possible, Kingsley said.

“These fake advisers will never disclose how they make their money if a consumer should ever ask, which should be a big red flag to anyone enticed by their slick marketing campaigns,” Mr Kingsley said.

“It’s quite common for developers to offer commissions of $50,000 or more as well as gold Rolexes for help to offload subpar stock – and unfortunately, huge commissions are the sole motivation for faux advisers.”

It’s also a good idea to ask if they are a member of PICA or PIPA, as members of these bodies have completed specialist education in property investment advice or are licenced buyer’s agents.

“Consumers should only work with licensed buyer’s agents and advisers that have completed a QPIA, who are also members of PIPA, because of our strict code of conduct that includes full disclosure of commissions,” Koulizos said.

Top Suburbs : nightcliff , revesby hts , redcliffe , mt lawley , millner


Get help with your investment property

Do you need help finding the right loan for your investment?

When investing in property, it is important to make sure that you not only have the lowest available rate that you can get, but also have the correct loan features for your needs.

Just fill in a few details below and we'll then arrange for a local mortgage broker to contact you and work out what features or types of loans are right for your needs. We'll even help with the paperwork. Plus an appointment is free.

How soon would you like a mortgage?
What is your Annual Household Income i $
Do you currently own any Investment Properties?
Do you own your own residence?
How much equity do you have in all your current properties?
First Name
Last Name
Where do you live?
What number can we reach you on?
E-mail address
We value your privacy and treat all your information seriously - you can check out our privacy policy here