Northern Territory unveils building guide for buyers, investors

By Gerv Tacadena | 08 Jun 2021

The Northern Territory government has announced reforms to its building guide in a bid to help boost the confidence of buyers and investors in the local building industry.

The Building and Renovating in the NT Consumer Guide has been developed to assist potential homebuyers, builders, and investors about the processes involved in building or renovating detached dwellings. The updates include outlining the role of the certifier, builder, plumber, and homeowner in any build project. The reforms also laid out alternative pathways to occupancy certification.

Other changes include:

  • Plain English information about what should be in a building contract for “prescribed works” under the Building Reform Act
  • Requirements for transportable/prefabricated homes, converting a shed to a house or when design changes need a building permit
  • Warranties of products
  • The importance of home maintenance after a build
  • Simplified processes available for certain shed, fences and shade structures
  • When pool fences need a building permit

Eva Lawler, minister for infrastructure, planning, and logistics, said the updated guide aims to offer a simplified explanation of the complex process of building or renovating a home.

"The updated Building and Renovating in the NT Consumer Guide makes sure Territorians, and their builders are on the same page when it comes to undertaking a project on your home. With checklists and plain English explanations, the consumer is guide is a one stop shop for all your renovating and building questions," she said.

Lawler said this is crucial given that for many buyers and investors in the territory, building a home is one of the biggest investments they will ever make in their lives.

"The Territory’s construction industry supports local jobs and creates homes for Territorians. We want to make sure that when Territorians make their biggest investment, they feel safe in their homes and are confident that it has been built to a quality standard that meets the National Construction Code," she said.

To access the updated Consumer Guide, click this link.

Top Suburbs : campsie , padbury , flemington , reservoir , east victoria park


Get help with your investment property

Do you need help finding the right loan for your investment?

When investing in property, it is important to make sure that you not only have the lowest available rate that you can get, but also have the correct loan features for your needs.

Just fill in a few details below and we'll then arrange for a local mortgage broker to contact you and work out what features or types of loans are right for your needs. We'll even help with the paperwork. Plus an appointment is free.

How soon would you like a mortgage?
What is your Annual Household Income i $
Do you currently own any Investment Properties?
Do you own your own residence?
How much equity do you have in all your current properties?
First Name
Last Name
Where do you live?
What number can we reach you on?
E-mail address
We value your privacy and treat all your information seriously - you can check out our privacy policy here