WA planning laws overhauled to make make building and renovating easier

By |
The Western Australian state government is set to overhaul its planning laws in an effort to make building and renovating easier in the state.

Recently approved changes to Local Planning Schemes regulations will come into effect on Monday 19 October, removing the need for a development application (DA) for a range of different works.

WA Planning Minister John Day said there are currently more than 150 different local planning schemes in the state and the changes will give WA a consistent approach to planning.

“This is a major reform that, for the first time, will introduce a consistent planning process across all schemes,” Day said.

“These initiatives are a key part of the most comprehensive planning reform ever undertaken in WA,” he said.

The new regulations will apply to works big and small, with everything from installing a patio to the construction of a single detached house to be made easier.

“In many cases the new regulations will save residents up to 60 days when installing a planning compliant patio, carport or granny flat as they remove the need for a development application to be submitted to a local government,” Day said.

“Likewise, renovating or constructing a new planning compliant single house will no longer require approval, and small to medium-sized businesses won't have to seek approval to change a property from one permitted use to another.”

Real Estate Institute of Western Australia president David Airey said the changes will be welcomed, especially by builders who needed to get duplicated approvals to build a compliant house on residential zoned land.

“It has never been very practical to get two approvals for the one house and this has added a lot of time to the process,” Airey said

“Thankfully, the Minister has overseen a common-sense change that now means a planning-compliant single house will no longer require approval,” he said. 

Whether you are looking to buy your first home, move home, refinance, or invest in property, a mortgage broker can help. Access loans from all the major lenders, get help with paperwork – plus there is no charge for this service. Get help from a local mortgage broker

Top Suburbs : reservoir , new farm , lockridge , artarmon , mt gravatt

go back

Get help with your investment property

Do you need help finding the right loan for your investment?

When investing in property, it is important to make sure that you not only have the lowest available rate that you can get, but also have the correct loan features for your needs.

Just fill in a few details below and we'll then arrange for a local Aussie Mortgage Broker to contact you and work out what features or types of loans are right for your needs. We'll even help with the paperwork. Plus and appointment is free.

How soon would you like a mortgage?
What is your Annual Household Income i $
Do you currently own any Investment Properties?
Do you own your own residence?
How much equity do you have in all your current properties?
First Name
Last Name
Where do you live?
What number can we reach you on?
E-mail address
We value your privacy and treat all your information seriously - you can check out our privacy policy here