How to reduce your Capital Gains Tax

Welcome to QS Corner…this month we look to reduce your Capital Gains Tax (CGT).

I believe every year millions of dollars get paid in Capital Gains Tax that shouldn’t be, and here’s why:

When people renovate a property they are living in – they rarely keep records of they cost incurred on the upgrades that they make.

Then a baby might come along, a work opportunity overseas or any other reason that forces the property owner to turn that owner occupied property into an investment property.

Let’s move on 5 or 10 years…the owners decide to sell the property.

NOW because the property has been partially owner occupied and partially an investment – A Capital Gain Tax (CGT) implication has been triggered.

So off they go to their accountant – and the accountant asks “have you got any receipts of what work you did to the property?? Because that will REDUCE the CGT Payable”

You see any improvements the couple made to the property whilst living there….INCREASES the cost base of the property – thus lowering the amount you will need to pay in CGT.

We are increasingly being asked by accountants to go to a property to estimate the improvements made or in some cases the whole construction cost.

This option may be more relevant in comparison to valuing the property at the point you moved out…due to property prices flattening.

Tyron Hyde is director of Washington Brown and has over 15 years experience in the construction and development industry. Considered one of Australia’s leading experts in property tax depreciation, Tyron regularly presents at industry conferences and events and has published numerous articles on tax depreciation and property investment.
Tyron has a Bachelor in Construction Economics from University of Technology Sydney. 

Click here to read more tips from Tyron!

Whether you are looking to buy your first home, move home, refinance, or invest in property, a mortgage broker can help. Access loans from all the major lenders, get help with paperwork – plus there is no charge for this service. Get help from a local mortgage broker

Top Suburbs : newcastle , lalor park , kariong , st kilda west , the basin

go back

Get help with your investment property

Do you need help finding the right loan for your investment?

When investing in property, it is important to make sure that you not only have the lowest available rate that you can get, but also have the correct loan features for your needs.

Just fill in a few details below and we'll then arrange for a local Aussie Mortgage Broker to contact you and work out what features or types of loans are right for your needs. We'll even help with the paperwork. Plus an appointment is free.

How soon would you like a mortgage?
What is your Annual Household Income i $
Do you currently own any Investment Properties?
Do you own your own residence?
How much equity do you have in all your current properties?
First Name
Last Name
Where do you live?
What number can we reach you on?
E-mail address
We value your privacy and treat all your information seriously - you can check out our privacy policy here