When it pays to get advice

I’ve practised quantity surveying for more than 20 years… and this week was one of my best. Here’s why:-

Jenny Jones (not her real name) owned a unit in Hastings Parade, North Bondi. Due to the location of the building, the elements (rain, wind etc) caused substantial damage to the structure of the building.

The strata body had to raise a special levy of $80,000 from each of the six unit holders within the complex.

The strata body then engaged a builder to carry out the work.

Completion of the work
Once the building work was complete the strata body engaged Washington Brown to differentiate what work was capital in nature and what work was to be considered repairs out of the $80,000.

The result
In general, a special levy raised for repairs is not deductible but Washington Brown was able to break down the construction costs in repairs and capital works. In the end, we estimated that approximately $57,000, or close to 80% of the overall spend, could be considered as an immediate deduction.

Why I’m proud
The client’s accountant thought this figure was too high and asked for a private ruling from the ATO.

“The Tax Commissioner accepts the classification of the work carried out as per the report prepared by Washington Brown”.

The $57,350 deduction was approved in full as opposed to most people who would claim the work over 40 years at 2.5%.

This makes me one proud old quantity surveyor!

Tyron Hyde is director of Washington Brown and has over 15 years experience in the construction and development industry. Considered one of Australia’s leading experts in property tax depreciation, Tyron regularly presents at industry conferences and events and has published numerous articles on tax depreciation and property investment. Tyron has a Bachelor in Construction Economics from University of Technology Sydney. 

Click here to read more tips from Tyron!

Whether you are looking to buy your first home, move home, refinance, or invest in property, a mortgage broker can help. Access loans from all the major lenders, get help with paperwork – plus there is no charge for this service. Get help from a local mortgage broker

Top Suburbs : st marys , alderley , murdoch , redcliffe , west rockhampton

go back

Get help with your investment property

Do you need help finding the right loan for your investment?

When investing in property, it is important to make sure that you not only have the lowest available rate that you can get, but also have the correct loan features for your needs.

Just fill in a few details below and we'll then arrange for a local Aussie Mortgage Broker to contact you and work out what features or types of loans are right for your needs. We'll even help with the paperwork. Plus and appointment is free.

How soon would you like a mortgage?
What is your Annual Household Income i $
Do you currently own any Investment Properties?
Do you own your own residence?
How much equity do you have in all your current properties?
First Name
Last Name
Where do you live?
What number can we reach you on?
E-mail address
We value your privacy and treat all your information seriously - you can check out our privacy policy here