The Kiwi question

30 Jan 2012


Question: I want to buy a rental property in NZ and being an Aussie, I’m not sure what tax issues I should be aware of. I also hold a few properties here in Australia so I want to know the tax implications of holding NZ property for both Kiwi and Aussie taxation departments. 

Answer: Residents of Australia are liable to pay tax on assessable income (such as rent and capital gains) that they derive from worldwide sources during the financial year. This is so even if you paid tax overseas. If you’re liable to pay foreign tax (for instance in New Zealand) you may be entitled to claim a foreign income tax offset in respect of the amount foreign tax you paid. 

The rent derived in New Zealand must be disclosed in your Australian income tax return and you can claim the same types of domestic rental deductions you incur in deriving your overseas income. This means you can claim rental expenses such as:

  • Interest on borrowings to buy your New Zealand property
  • Rates, insurance and repairs
  • Depreciation and capital works deductions
  • Real estate agent fees to collect the rent
  • Travel costs to inspect your property in New Zealand.

If your foreign rental expenses exceed your foreign rental income; the net loss can be deducted from other Australian sourced assessable income you derive.

 If you sell a property you own in New Zealand you’re liable to pay capital gains tax on any capital gain you make on sale.

 With reference to the tax implications of holding property in New Zealand; you need to check with the New Zealand Tax Office as to whether you’re required to lodge a tax return in New Zealand. 

  • Answer provided by Jimmy B. Prince, LaTrobe University

Top Suburbs : south brisbane , glendenning , cardiff south , marrickville , west wodonga


Get help with your investment property

Do you need help finding the right loan for your investment?

When investing in property, it is important to make sure that you not only have the lowest available rate that you can get, but also have the correct loan features for your needs.

Just fill in a few details below and we'll then arrange for a local mortgage broker to contact you and work out what features or types of loans are right for your needs. We'll even help with the paperwork. Plus an appointment is free.

How soon would you like a mortgage?
What is your Annual Household Income i $
Do you currently own any Investment Properties?
Do you own your own residence?
How much equity do you have in all your current properties?
First Name
Last Name
Where do you live?
What number can we reach you on?
E-mail address
We value your privacy and treat all your information seriously - you can check out our privacy policy here