Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

10 ways to pick a hot spot

Notify me of new replies via email
Your Investment Property | 19 Dec 2011, 12:00 AM Agree 0
How to predict the property market and choose an investment based on an educated opinion, rather than taking a stab in the dark like most investors do
  • Matt | 02 Feb 2013, 03:58 PM Agree 0
    In regards to point 6 - weren't the most affluent suburbs of Sydney the most affected by the downturn? You can currently pick up houses in Vaucluse for around $2M which were selling for $3M at their peak.
  • Greg | 05 Feb 2013, 03:55 PM Agree 0
    Then of course there's good old fashioned dumb luck.

I bought a unit in Liverpool NSW in the mid 1980's and it's price doubled within 14 months.
    With interest rates at 18%, I had no idea that was about to happen.
    Neither did the owner of the unit block of 18 who was selling them all off...
  • Madaline | 06 Feb 2013, 09:22 AM Agree 0
    Nice one Greg! I think that also proves that the best time to get into the market is as soon as you can. No point waiting for the 'perfect' opportunity.
  • Sammie | 04 Jun 2013, 02:45 PM Agree 0
    Agreed Madaline. Best time to get into property is when you can afford it. Over the long term , it really wont matter what the purchase price was. As long as its affordable. I give myself worst case scenarios, if interest rates were 10%, could I afford it?.. if the answer is yes, then add the next property in the portfolio...any interest rate under that I consider it a bonus for me. Slow and steady
  • JDav | 09 Aug 2014, 02:23 PM Agree 0
    I think Mandurah WA is the next hot spot...just 45mins by fast train to Perth, situated on the south coast with beautiful beaches and estuary waterways, lots of cafes. It can be approx 6 degrees cooler than Perth on those hot days if you have a property near the water. Property prices are still very reasonable compared to Perth. I've moved to Melbourne but I'm thinking of moving back.
Post a reply