Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

6 signs your property manager is doing a bad job

Notify me of new replies via email
Your Investment Property | 05 Dec 2012, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Most investors would be surprised at just how bad a lot of property managers really are. But is yours one of them?
  • Debbie - Savvy Property People | 14 Dec 2012, 02:28 PM Agree 0
    I'm not surprised but as Property Managers we tick all the boxes. The reason we set up our agency supports this article. Well done!!
  • stan | 14 Dec 2012, 04:18 PM Agree 0
    I have been leasing property through agants for 25yrs.There are few agants worth their weight in gold.Infact have met two.Mostyt your chasing them up to see if they have done work/tasks as requested.
    If you can keep a record of contacts to e-mails...and keep them on your usb
    ALL THE BEST
  • Greg | 17 Dec 2012, 10:03 AM Agree 0
    Principles can also be the root cause for bad management by not having the right number of property managers for the portfolio size. An agent claiming to have the biggest number of rentals on their books, had also better have the largest number of property staff on hand.

Brilliant Property Managers are as rare as hens teeth.
  • Annette | 16 Jul 2013, 12:57 PM Agree 0
    My personal experience with BAD property managers has seen a convicted criminal on parole and a prostitute put into my rental house as there was no checks done on the applications and the agents lied about there application. Other agents have been extremely sloppy in there admin fees with overcharging and withholding rent in the real estate agents bank accounts. I vow NEVER to list my properties again!!
  • Mist | 13 Aug 2013, 07:30 PM Agree 0
    These are my personal experiences about renting as well as my kids.
    Bad property managers do not give the required time to vacate the premises = the tenant does not to clean up. Bad property managers let the land lord hold on to the key and he shows up at random times without notice = no need to clean the joint.
    The owner shows up without notice and demand 1 of 3 students has to leave as her daughter is moving in = no clean up done and property left behind= full bond returned.
    Property manager getting her dates mixed up = a complaint about a door missed = at vacation we managed to secure the door from outside and used the ladder to get down = full bond back.
    Yes, surely there are bad tenants but there sure are very bad property managers and owners!
    Thankfully I haven't rented in years and my kids won't be for too much longer.
  • Very annoyed investor | 08 Oct 2013, 03:58 PM Agree 0
    Story rings true. Trust your gut instinct, document all agreements/conversations and make sure that you take a personal interest in your investments don't leave it to a property manager. Unfortunately we had a horrible experience with a property manager that was a bully and then we ended up in court to defend ourselves (investment) against her unprofessionalism and our reputation. Karen Pynenburg (realestate agent from perth) was the worst property manager I ever came across. She was given such good references from the agency she worked at but they forgot to mention that she doesn't actually do her job properly and is careless with investors money. In the 12 months she managed our property (when it was rented we only got 20% of the income because the other 80% was taken up in false maintenance claims).... Be aware and trust your instinct. We ended up in court defending claims that should never have been made.
  • Very annoyed investor | 08 Oct 2013, 04:02 PM Agree 0
    Ok... my 50c .... 6 signs your property manager (PM) is doing a bad job.
    1 - Your gut instinct tells you something is wrong
    2 - you have to keep checking rental income - following up on late payments and no action by the Pm before you call (I.e. they don't even realise there is a proble).
    3 - PM gives you lip service but doesn't deliver
    4 - PM doesn't value relationships, signs you up and then forgets who they are working for
    5 - PM is dishonest, unprofessional and lacks courtesy to tenants and investors
    6 - PM doesn't actually like their job, they are 'stuck' there for what ever reason, they should really move on and find something else they like better.
  • Elena Robertson | 03 Jun 2014, 10:58 AM Agree 0
    Greetings, my brother has had 3 disastrous property management companies in a row in Bucharest. I won't name them, but one was a pair of sisters operating in the north, stealing rent and furniture and blaming tenants. One was a pair from Belfast, ex lawyers I think, who rented and said his place was empty and the last was an idiot who used to teach at Oxford. His youtube videos look like my 3yo produced them and his site is simply lots of back links. He too is a very sneaky, greedy little peasant, [edited]. How do you find good agent though? is there a governing body in Bucharest for property management?
Post a reply