Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Adding an extra storey

Notify me of new replies via email
| 27 Jan 2012, 04:13 AM Agree 0

Does anyone have any experience in adding an extra storey to a property? Is it any more difficult than extending outwards on the ground floor? I'm looking at properties in an area where there are already plenty of two storey houses, so wondered if buying a one floor place and building up would be a good strategy.
  • Eos Property | 27 Jan 2012, 09:05 AM Agree 0
    Hi Jules,

Given you are increasing the load bearing on some internal and external walls it will be necessary to consult with an building engineer.

They will be able to advise you on the best course of action.

Certainly going upwards is a little more complex than going outwards.

You would also need to make sure the additional engineering related costs do not see you over-capitalising in a 'flat' market.
  • Jules78 | 01 Feb 2012, 06:02 AM Agree 0
    Hmm, thanks for that. Sounds like I'd need to be wary of the overcapitalisation trap.
  • Eos Property | 01 Feb 2012, 06:28 AM Agree 0
    Hi Jules,

Over-capitalisation and overly ambitious are two common traps for 'renovators'

Often real improvements can be done with some experience and on a beer budget. You will also need to consider your handyperson skills, capacity and time before embarking on renos.
  • hassan | 06 Jun 2012, 02:01 AM Agree 0
    If you want to built extra storey building on the ground floor.You just notice that its ground floor is in better condition and does it can lifted the weight of extra floor building?!/thereallyrican
  • kelvinjay | 11 Jul 2012, 01:18 PM Agree 0
    If your house is a single story built in the 80's and is wider than 26' you will likely have to provide a weight bearing wall down the center of the house to support the second floor.
  • AdiliNoel | 14 Jul 2012, 07:38 AM Agree 0
    Even I agree with you all guys, Firstly need to check the condition of the land whether it can beared the weight of that extra floor.
Post a reply