Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Aged 21 looking to invest in the property market

Notify me of new replies via email
Daniel | 13 Nov 2015, 09:58 AM Agree 2
I am 21 years of age, currently working 30 hours a week and attending university. I'm looking to invest in the property market as i'd like to start to build my individual wealth. Any ideas where i should start looking, what processes i should start to study to get the best result from eventually investing in the property market.

Thank you

Daniel Perillo
  • CrisCamberwell | 14 Nov 2015, 05:11 AM Agree 0
    If you can afford to rope your university mates into renovating for beer& BBQ find a renovators delight. My boyfriend(now husband) and I did that, and ended up doing quite well for ourselves. Be sure to check out expensive stuff like roof are in good condition as they are costly to fix. Look for public transport & walking distance to shops, and schools if it's a family area, renters love these! Not sure of your in Vic, but I saw a 5 & 3 bedder in Ferntree Gully/Wantirna last week, both too much work for us now, but in my younger days would have been perfect! The bus (a few steps away) to glen Waverley & boronia stations and both have a newly built school at the end of the adjoining street.
  • Bill | 26 Nov 2015, 04:03 AM Agree 0
    Do you want to live in the property, or rent it out?
  • Jeremy del Pino | 27 Nov 2015, 09:05 PM Agree 0
    Hi Daniel,
    Well done on the decision to set yourself up from now! I'm only 27 myself and built my first investment property at age 21 and it was totally worth it! Firstly you should find out how much you can borrow on your 30 hour a week job - see a mortgage broker (shameless plug, but I am one and can help you out!) they're free to use and can help you find the best home loan. The property market seems to be stabilising and there are, or will be shortly, some good bargains to find. I advise staying away from Melb and Sydney inner city and close to city, particularly units and apartments as well as rural QLD and 'holiday hot spots'. The market is overheated in those areas and I'm seeing so many valuations come in lower than the purchase price - people are losing money! I have a few reports on areas that experts believe are currently 'undervalued' If you want to see some or need any advice just ask, happy to help! :)
  • GeniusPat | 14 Mar 2016, 10:28 AM Agree 0
    Hi Daniel

I'm 19y/o and i'm working towards the same thing your son was/is
    I am currently being mentored by a former property investor, and i am quiet involved with research and due diligence.
    I'm looking for people to work with.

• Younginvestor | 14 Mar 2016, 07:10 PM Agree 1
    Hi Patrick,

I am 21 y/o and looking to invest in property/renovate property within the next year. Open to discuss possible joint ventures to do some flips.

Post a reply