Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

An end to stamp duty: could it happen?

Notify me of new replies via email
Your Investment Property | 21 Nov 2013, 03:38 PM Agree 0
Governments enjoy property booms because increased turnover sends stamp duty revenue ‘gushing’ into Treasury coffers, but the tax also discourages first home buyers and should be reconsidered, experts argue
  • GB | 21 Nov 2013, 05:17 PM Agree 0
    ACT already has this 'innovation'. And guess who pays for it? All rate payers!. As the duty drops, the rates go up. We will be paying $5,000 for basic land rates which are currently $1,000 in a few years time. Dumbest idea ever. Pushes up rents too.
  • Keith Vic | 21 Nov 2013, 09:53 PM Agree 0
    Why doesn't State Governments change the law so that the seller pays the stamp duty on the sale of the property. Maybe Govmts think that distressed owners may have bankruptcy creditors that will gobble up the home value, but that's what caveats are for.
    The first homies can get their foot in knowing that the stamp duty is delayed until the sale of their property. PS..Im only a factory hack so maybe not smart enough to see the bloomin obvious.
  • Jose | 22 Nov 2013, 10:38 AM Agree 0
    Or, as in WA, first home buyers could be exempt from stamp duty for homes under 500K. If you are a first home buyer buying over $500K, you can afford stamp duty, or suck it up and buy cheaper.
  • Peter | 22 Nov 2013, 11:27 AM Agree 0
    I really can't see it happening. All Governments, State and Federal are desperately looking for ways to increase their income not lessen it.
  • Steve harmison | 27 Nov 2013, 11:11 PM Agree 0
    Yes I am agree with the views of Robert Carling, Thanks for sharing the information.
Post a reply