Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

How Worried Should I Be?

Notify me of new replies via email
Randy | 30 Apr 2015, 09:48 AM Agree 0
Hi, I'm new to the forum.

I am the landlord for our Chicago building and reside in one of the 3 units.

My former upstairs tenants of two years ago are using the address here as the business address for their LLC. (My lease with them prohibited using this residence as a business.) I first became aware of this "funny business" the year following their move (from Chicago to Boston). Mail from the Illinois Secretary of State began showing up for them via their personal and fictitious names.

So I notified my former tenants. They seemed surprised and assured me that they had updated their LLC address with Illinois. -That they would check on why this is happening and advised me “not to be concerned”. Business mailings for them continue though. For a year I forwarded “important looking” mail to them in Boston until I finally just started writing “not at this address” and “return to sender”.

Last week they received yet another notice; and lawfully or not I decided to open it. It was for payment of their LLC annual report filing fee. I noticed the LLC file number and I looked it up at the Illinois State web site. Their LLC is currently listed as the address here in Chicago, not Boston.

Other than this "after the fact" problem, they had been ideal tenants (A married couple, a cellist and a lawyer). They lived here over three years. I am concerned though that they have been (and continue to) use our address for their business (Which is a special event string ensemble).

Am I being played? (No pun intended). Why would they do this? Tax advantage? Plans to return to Illinois someday?

Whatever their reasons, how worried should I be? Should I contact them again? The secretary of state? Or both? What blow-back can something like this have to the property owner? Can it affect property insurance? A refi? Property taxes? Liens? Selling?

Thanks-R. Miller
Post a reply