Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Is investing in serviced apartments a good idea?

Notify me of new replies via email
Your Investment Property | 14 Jun 2012, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Serviced apartments can be a convenient and cost-effective accommodation option for leisure and business travellers looking for extended-stay accommodation that resembles apartment-style living.
  • | 02 Feb 2015, 11:49 PM Agree 0
    Investing in serviced apartments can be a good idea because it has several advantages like:
    1. A fixed and secure rental income
    2. 100% tenancy with major providers like Quest Properties
    3. Tax and superannuation benefits
    4. No management fees
    5. No letting fees
    6. No repair and maintenance obligations
    So I think yes you can go for it.
  • Dale Sutcliffe | 13 Mar 2015, 12:51 PM Agree 0
    not a great article on the risks - make it more balanced
  • Peter the Property Guru | 24 Apr 2015, 06:13 PM Agree 0
    They won't make it balanced, they are biased, because the more attractive they can make the market, the more business for them.
  • Ian Z | 30 Jul 2015, 02:20 PM Agree 0
    Once an apartment is in a serviced apartment pool, the owner can't stay in it, and the rights are restricted, so Banks either won't lend on it or only to a reduced lending ration of around 65% maximum.
  • Silva Cruz | 20 Apr 2016, 11:04 AM Agree 0
    also got to be careful on the square footage of these so called "serviced apartments". most banks don't lend if its less than 5 squares unless Commbank but they too have made it harder now. as was thinking of doing it and then found out from banks the awful truth.
  • AnnaDanishek | 27 Apr 2016, 05:06 PM Agree 0
    To my mind it is not the best option to invest in
  • TheDeveloperGuy | 31 Jul 2016, 10:13 PM Agree 0
    Short answer is yes, but do your homework on the property first.
    How much is the body corp,
    what is the rental return and growth
    One of the best advantages of an apartment over houses or flats is that on most Apartment's there is no maintenance of the out side, this reduces your time in looking after the property.
    I personally owned over 50 houses and flats that was a full time job in maintaining them and very expensive. Now I have apartments and life is so much easier.
    TPG
  • Raj Verma | 07 Sep 2016, 11:24 PM Agree 0
    Good Idea....
Post a reply