Second hand items for renovating

#1 Posted : Wednesday, 8 August 2012 1:08:17 AM

Lots of people say you should use second hand items to save costs on renovating houses, for example, use a second hand door instead of a brand new one. However, this doesn't sound like such a great idea. Thoughts?

• Ellie_M#2 Posted : Tuesday, 4 September 2012 11:24:08 PM

I think that's a great idea to use second-hand things.It is very ergonomic and I think that many of the objects made long time have a much better quality.
    I do not know, you would have been because I am less retro fan. But it is far more economical.

• Karl-T#3 Posted : Friday, 7 December 2012 7:29:12 PM

I think with certain items the benefits can be great and provide satisfaction in terms of saving money, and providing the nice feeling of recycling something whilst saving money. Some of the complete (and not very old kitchens) seen on eBay are great value for money, and if you approach a local kitchen/cabinet maker to supply a few items to go with a second hand kitchen they can look great. Eg. A stainless kickboard, new handles, fresh end panels, etc. You can also make a second hand stainless steel sink look like new with a tube of autosol and some elbow grease. A lot of second hand kitchens up to 5 years old or so also come with quite good appliances too. Whilst not technically in the second hand camp, if you have a local business that actually makes the kitchen laminate bench tops, they generally have a list of tops that are muck ups, or have not been paid for by customers and you can get these for up to 40-50% cheaper, and normally there is one colour or style that will match your job (they will obviously cut to suit your job, and add ends, etc). Also, don't limit your search to immediately local (although) as hiring a small truck and driving a few hours each way is not the end of the world if you have found a great kitchen that suits your needs, and is priced right, AND you may even stop at a few second hand stores on the way and find a great piece for your renovation!

• Sonya Matthews#4 Posted : Saturday, 5 January 2013 2:39:27 PM

Using good quality, second hand materials to renovate an investment property can be a very good idea because of the money it saves you to do the renovation and the value it adds to the property. However, like anything strategic, you need to know what you are doing! If you can get a great door for next to nothing and it's going to "do the trick" in your investment property, then it's the perfect way to go. But if the door is warped, the wrong size, or needs repair to be fitted, then it's probably not worth it - even if it is free! So the question isn't so much "is new better than old", the question should be "does it suit the purpose (whilst saving me heaps of money)?".
    When renovating a property for investment, you must know what you are doing. Be focussed on your desired outcomes, be clear on your strategy, educate yourself about your techniques and keep a constant eye on the finances!
    Sonya Matthews
    Reno Kings Team
    visit www.howtomakemoneyinproperty.com for extensive, quality property information.

Post a reply