Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

The 108 steps to the perfect loan

Notify me of new replies via email
Your Investment Property | 21 Jan 2013, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Before you bypass brokers and go straight to the bank, consider the information they have at their disposal
  • David Radcliffe | 26 Jan 2013, 03:14 PM Agree 0
    I am not sure I would use a Smartline broker if they have problem counting. They quote 108 measures they check but provide a list of those checks which total only 90! A few other errors in the story: NOT all banks "Credit Score" which can be useful (ie: Suncorp). The Smartline policy "system" may tell their brokers if they think a loan will be approved, but it is actually the lender who makes the final decision and some loans which get declined by "systems" can be approved with the help of a knowlegible & skillful broker. The other statement that "there is no use giving an offset account to a client with little savings" is rubbish. If the offset account doesn't cost the client anything to have, it is worth taking. My advice, be careful of using a mortgage broker who only puts all your information into a computer to decide which loan is best for you. I have met a few of these brokers over the years and they can't actualkly tell you why a loan is best for you other than saying "the computer says it is best for you". Try a broker with many years experience, who has written hundreds of loans, who actually knows why some loans are better thans others, and no, I will agree, interest rate is not everything.
  • Frank | 26 Jan 2013, 07:25 PM Agree 0
    nice promo/press release by/for a mortage broker - I'm just not sure I get the value for the $1000+ trailing commission mine gets for the 20 mins a year phone call discussions I have with him.

as a seasoned investor - my needs are probably well-satisfied by the lowest interest rate offered by internet-only lenders - which strangely may not be offered by commission-seeking mortgage brokers.
  • peter | 27 Jan 2013, 08:27 PM Agree 0
    good comment David.
Post a reply