Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

The big match up: buying old or buying new

Notify me of new replies via email
Your Investment Property | 17 Nov 2011, 12:00 AM Agree 0
It’s long been a debate in property investment circles – do you go for older more established dwellings or brand new properties? The answer may surprise you.
  • Josh William | 01 Oct 2013, 11:47 PM Agree 0
    Thank you for these tips, I just want to add something that You have to take care of the Cleanliness of the new home you are buying or renting make sure that new houses are well constructed and they have materials that are totally new in the construction phase.
    Best Regards,
    Josh William
  • RCampbell | 06 Mar 2014, 04:01 PM Agree 0
    I think this writeup offers a great comparison between new and used property. I agree with Nora in that both new and used properties have their distinct advantages, and it really comes down to an individuals investment goals and circumstances.

Other considerations to factor in when choosing between new and used property include: location, capital growth potential, local transport and infrastructure, government investment in the area, builder warranties, potential stamp duty savings.

R. Campbell.
  • Sean O'Rourke | 22 Apr 2014, 02:53 PM Agree 0
    Good article but I would have liked a discussion on the time value of money. Buying a new property, or one to be constructed within the next 12 months, gives the purchaser the price of an asset in today's dollars that won't be ready until a future date. i.e many builders experience 6-12months of capital growth for their house whilst it's being constructed.

Furthermore in WA new constructs are considerably cheaper than established properties and government grants are also better.
  • Nick Holden | 23 Sep 2014, 07:23 PM Agree 0
    Nora Surya and Alex Huang had a very well balanced and intelligent opinion to the question. Well done. Can't say as much for this though: 'Raptis believes buying new is definitely a no-no if you’re looking for the ideal investment'.
  • Peter | 08 Nov 2014, 09:21 AM Agree 0
    I just purchased my fourth property. I never thought I would even consider buying new, but after a poor condo experience I found myself shopping. I live and work in a booming bedroom community near a city of a million. I would have loved to buy in the thirty year old established community near the school where I work, but even the small fixer uppers quickly go at the top of my budget. I was able to purchase a full ownership townhouse with a very large garage and 30% more room, all the upgrades, only 1.5 kms farther away for the same money. I had to wait six months for possession, but new ones with less features are now selling for $30,000 more. I keep questioning my decision until I compare what's come up since. As for suggesting there is no opportunity to add value, I disagree. There is still a yard to be custom landscaped and a basement that could be developed.
    • J | 19 May 2015, 11:00 PM Agree 0
      your ',but' is annoying! please write in complete/proper english mate.
Post a reply