Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Where in Sydney?

Notify me of new replies via email
| 13 Apr 2011, 12:44 AM Agree 0

Sydney Sydney Sydney… but where? Looking for a unit, max $450k. Any ideas? I realize this probably forces me out of the blue chip areas, but I'd prefer not to end up far out west or south
  • Smartline Chiswick | 13 Apr 2011, 06:14 AM Agree 0
    Edit: Unable to supply residex report any more due to copyright concerns
  • karmark | 20 Apr 2011, 11:16 AM Agree 0
    Hi Shanon, i am also looking for IP in sydney within 400K. Is it possible to sent me the report? my email is kriyadh@yahoo.com. Thanks
  • infinitycapital | 27 Apr 2011, 12:07 AM Agree 0
    hi shannon ,

I am also looking for an investment property with the range of $450k, is it possible to send me the top 100 residex into my email : ianrusli89@yahoo.com.au

Thanks

Best Regards

• nakai | 29 Apr 2011, 01:42 AM Agree 0
    hi shannon ,

I am also looking for an investment property with the range of $450k, can you email me a copy of the top 100 residex into my email : katoririce@gmail.com

Many Thanks

• Smartline Chiswick | 02 May 2011, 04:54 AM Agree 0
    Hi All,

Apologies for the slow reply but I have now sent the report to anyone who requested it.

Regards,

Shannon
  • arpanppatel | 08 May 2011, 11:56 PM Agree 0
    Hi Shannon, I am also looking to buy an investment Property in sydney for about $350K. Can you Please also send me list. My email is: arpanppatel@yahoo.com

Thank you
  • Smartline Chiswick | 09 May 2011, 12:28 AM Agree 0
    Hi arpanppatel,

I've just emailed you a copy of the report.

Regards,

Shannon
  • ando | 10 May 2011, 01:05 AM Agree 0
    Hi Shannon, I am also looking to buy an investment Property in sydney for about $350 - $400K. Can you Please also send me list. My email is: ando13670@gmail.com

Thank you
  • Ngim | 24 May 2011, 03:30 AM Agree 0
    Hi Shannon
    Im also looking for IP in Sydney around the 400k mark and was just wondering
    If you mind sending me a copy of the report aswell. My email is ngim_t@yahoo.com.au.
    Thanks heaps
    Regards,

Ngim
  • Smartline Chiswick | 24 May 2011, 10:25 AM Agree 0
    Hi,

Have just emailed it through for you.

Regards,

Shannon
  • Jessica | 27 May 2011, 02:09 PM Agree 0

Hi Shannon,

Could I please get the report too?

jessica.matthews@omd.com

Thanks a mil!

Jessica
  • Deep | 14 Jun 2011, 09:04 AM Agree 0
    Hi Shanon,
    First home buyer here.. looking to buy a dream house.Could you also send me that report so that I can have a look and see where are the best places to buy.
    jazzymago@gmail.com
    thanks
    =M
  • Smartline Chiswick | 15 Jun 2011, 05:24 AM Agree 0
    Reports have been sent to everyone who has requested them. Good luck all in your house hunting!
  • sarah | 27 Jun 2011, 07:45 AM Agree 0
    Hi Shannon,
    I'm currently looking to buy an investment property in Sydney for around $400-450k. Would you mind sending me the list too?
    My email is: sahs_9@hotmail.com

Thank you
  • Smartline Chiswick | 29 Jun 2011, 01:30 AM Agree 0
    Hi Sarah,

Just sent the report through to you.

Regards,

Shannon
  • Smartline Chiswick | 29 Jun 2011, 03:42 AM Agree 0
    Hi All,

I've just received a call and will have to put sending the reports on hold at this stage due to copyright concerns.
    I'm talking to Residex now to see if I can sort something out as there is clearly a lot of demand for this sort of information.

Regards,

Shannon

• MrPhoton | 13 Jul 2011, 11:59 PM Agree 0
    I'd probably consider Eastlakes. They are next to Mascot who has experienced significant growth over the past 2 years. Moreover, they are just 15 mins away from CBD and there is a potential big development there planned by a developer called Crown International. Moreoever, what makes me think it will be a good growth area is that Eastlakes has a lot of old housing commission. Usually when this kind of area attracts developers and the development is eventually realized, prices tend to grow quickly as it convinces other developers and commercial entities (shops, restaurants) that this is a growing area.
  • MrPhoton | 14 Jul 2011, 12:02 AM Agree 0
    More to my comment above, Eastlakes is one of the most affordable suburbs in eastern suburbs. The median price is just $376,500 which is way below that of Kensington ($540K), Maroubra ($570K) and Botany Bay ($500K).
  • Young Aussie | 14 Jul 2011, 02:30 AM Agree 0
    Eastlakes does actually look pretty interesting. Although it has obvious disadvantages, its not near the train line like Kensington and it's not on the water like Maroubra and Botany Bay. When you say old housing commission do you mean no longer in use as housing commission?

Despite the fact that it's cheap for a reason, it could still have growth drivers I guess with Sydney's limited supply everywhere is bound to keep rising in value from the CBD moving outwards.
  • minic | 14 Jul 2011, 04:08 AM Agree 0
    Wow this thread has gone a long way since my OP. I changed jobs earlier so I had to postpone buying, back on the market now, so bring on the ideas!
  • Property Professor | 29 Jul 2011, 10:53 AM Agree 0
    If you are looking to purchase units in the $400K range in Sydney, I'd suggest the following four inner city suburbs:

Marrickville - Median Unit Price - $421,000
    Newtown - Median Unit Price - $410,000
    Chippendale - Median Unit Price - $425,000
    Darlington - Median Unit Price - $410,000

Each of these suburbs has a medium unit price BELOW the Sydney median unit price and they are only a few km from the city!
  • MrPhoton | 05 Aug 2011, 03:52 AM Agree 0
    Eastlakes does actually look pretty interesting. Although it has obvious disadvantages, its not near the train line like Kensington and it's not on the water like Maroubra and Botany Bay. When you say old housing commission do you mean no longer in use as housing commission?

Despite the fact that it's cheap for a reason, it could still have growth drivers I guess with Sydney's limited supply everywhere is bound to keep rising in value from the CBD moving outwards.

I think the housing commission are still very much in use. But if the planned big development there do take place & turns out to be a success, there is a high likelihood that other developers will follow suit & buy up those old housing and demolish them. Of course that is still long way off to go :-)
  • Mick C | 08 Aug 2011, 07:40 AM Agree 0
    If you are looking to purchase units in the $400K range in Sydney, I'd suggest the following four inner city suburbs:

Marrickville - Median Unit Price - $421,000
    Newtown - Median Unit Price - $410,000
    Chippendale - Median Unit Price - $425,000
    Darlington - Median Unit Price - $410,000

Each of these suburbs has a medium unit price BELOW the Sydney median unit price and they are only a few km from the city!

I would say these be for 1 bedroom units....so i wouldn't say BELOW the Sydney median unit price ( the Sydney median unit price for a 1 bedroom is $330,000)

Either way good location + capital growth potential

Regards
    Michael
  • Nick Patrick | 11 Sep 2011, 09:15 PM Agree 0
    Hi Shannon,

I'm currently looking for an IP between 390k to 450 k. Can you pls send me the report as well? Nick@ xielements.com

Many thanks,

Nick
  • Smartline Chiswick | 11 Sep 2011, 11:17 PM Agree 0
    Hi Shannon,

I'm currently looking for an IP between 390k to 450 k. Can you pls send me the report as well? Nick@ xielements.com

Many thanks,

Nick
    Hi Nick,

Unfortunately I'm no longer able to send out the report due to copyright issues (it can be purchased on the Residex website if you want it). However if you are looking at a particular area or property I'm happy to do up a report for you based on that. Just send me an email at singram@smartline.com.au and I can produce it for you.
  • Ray552 | 29 Nov 2011, 10:52 PM Agree 0
    According to REINSW in this article http://blog.realestateview.com.au/2011/06/most-affordable-places-to-buy-in-australi/ the most affordable suburbs to buy in Sydney are Lethbridge Park, Tregear, Whalan, Blackett, North St Marys, Hebersham and Macquarie Fields - median house price for all of these suburbs are below $285,000.
  • MyPropAU | 02 Jan 2012, 02:21 AM Agree 0
    When investors ask where to buy in Sydney its not that easy.. As of June 2010, the greater metropolitan area had an approximate population of 4.6 million people. And there are some 656 suburbs and localities in the greater Sydney area. So there are so many different markets to consider and you would have to be very experienced if you were able to comment on just a few of them.

I’ve taken a liking to Ultimo purchasing an apartment there about three years ago. The location is really good being easy to walk to work if you wish in the CBD or if a student studying at UTS. The Broadway shopping centre offers great food, supermarket and fashion shopping also with entertainment. Rental values have grown significantly with demand from students with also capital growth. Overseas demand to purchase also keeps the growth moving along.

So the answer is to do research. Find “growth drivers” in a selected suburb and with some falling property values make a purchase. 2012 - I believe will bring great opportunities for the motivated property investor who probably will see our market conditions as a further buying opportunity for these reasons. I also have a blog here: http://shrvl.com/pw3sK

• Property prices have been falling across the country
    • Reserve Bank have recently cut 50 base points from the cash rate with maybe more to come.
    • Australia terms of trade are around the highest on record and approximately about 90 per cent above their index for the 1990’s
    • The National Housing Supply Council State of Supply Report says the gap between housing demand and supply will reach 640,000 houses by 2030
    • Australian Bureau of Statistics advise housing starts are 11.5 per cent lower than 2010.
    • The number of permanent residents arriving is Australia was 213,000 during the year financial 2010-2011.
    • US housing starts jumped 9.3 per cent to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 685,000 units, the highest since April 2010.
    • Australia’s GDP is expected to be 4 per cent this year the highest since 2003.

Could be an excellent time for the property investor to buy a rental investment.

Cheers

Antony
  • Elite Property Finance | 05 Feb 2012, 10:42 PM Agree 0
    We offer free Australian Property Monitor (APM) reports. You need to email us the Property Address together with the Number of Bedrooms, Number of Bathroom and Number of Garage/Car Spaces. The APM Report shows the following information:

1. Approximate Property Value
    2. Complete sale history of the Property
    3. Current Properties for sale within the area
    4. Recent Property sales within the area
    5. Current Properties available for rent together with the rent amount

Shahin Afarin
    Property Finance Consultant
    shahin@elitepropertyfinance.com.au
    M: 0420 987 683 | F: 02 9151 4511 |
    Level 23, 100 Miller St, North Sydney 2060 | www.elitepropertyfinance.com.au
  • Seth | 07 Feb 2012, 02:02 AM Agree 0
    Hi Shahin,

I am interested in purchasing 2/172 Girraween Rd GIRRAWEEN, NSW - can you please email me the property report?

It is 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and 2 Garage spaces and my email address is seth_reid33@live.com

Thanks

Seth
  • Elite Property Finance | 07 Feb 2012, 02:09 AM Agree 0
    Hi Seth,

I have sent you the APM report - please check your email.

Regards

Shahin
  • AuPropertySpectator | 29 Mar 2012, 04:37 AM Agree 0
    I'm inclined to agree with those here posting about the inner-west suburbs mentioned above.

I'd add to that some 'inner-south' suburbs too (pending flight path issues) such as Arncliffe/Tempe.
    Not sure about Wolli Creek - their stock is mostly new towers that are quite overpriced so you run the risk of over-extending yourself/over-capitalising on the purchase..

Over-extending yourself is a huge problem and risk to Sydney buyers especially when it comes to new constructions.

In fact, I blogged an entire entry about it on Property Spectator Australia, check it out here:

http://www.propertyspectator.blogspot.com.au/2011/10/overextending-yourself-true-cost-of.html
  • Jcyber | 16 Apr 2012, 09:54 PM Agree 0
    I am also looking for an investment property with the range of $400k
  • Bennett | 19 Apr 2012, 12:50 PM Agree 0
    I am also looking for an investment property .
    Is Sndney is better place to invest property ? please suggest me.
  • siachin | 24 Apr 2012, 12:24 AM Agree 0
    Ashfield, Strathfield,Homebush, Parramatta, Auburn, Castle hill, Epping
  • AuPropertySpectator | 24 Apr 2012, 02:26 AM Agree 0
    Hi Siachin,

I'm inclined to agree about some of the areas you mention. Perhaps with the exception of Castle Hill (more of a PPOR suburb versus investment).

Ashfield and Strathfield surrounds are particularly strong at the moment; with younger/newer investors being attracted to it for easier entry-point costs into the market, and only 10km to CBD.
    Plus, market sentiment is pretty positive (only today interest-rate cuts were announced by some lenders, with others following suit in early May 2012, plus signs of a comeback in some capital city markets in terms of values increasing).

I actually conducted a survey on my blog this month about market sentiment and just published the results.
    Worth a read if you have some nerves about the market at the moment (especially in Sydney!):

http://propertyspectator.blogspot.com.au/
  • Luong | 09 Jun 2012, 12:26 PM Agree 0
    Hi there,

We are in Brisbane, we plan to move to Sydney in a few months then get our first home.
    Could you suggest about the North or West Sydney close to any university (house) around $400K

Thank you
  • addicted | 11 Jun 2012, 12:10 AM Agree 0
    Luong you have NO chance of getting a house in North Sydney for $400K. You'd be battling to even get a unit.

You need to be more specific about your requirements if you want a decent answer.

You'd get something near UWS in Richmond. Mt Druitt $250-300K St Marys, Penrith $300+
  • Luong | 13 Jun 2012, 12:45 PM Agree 0
    Thank you for your advice. Among St Marys, Glenfield and Wollongong, which area has the most potential for rental return (stand alone house with 3 beds and 1 bath)? Regards
  • Markjames220 | 20 Jun 2012, 11:54 AM Agree 0
    I am agree with Property Professor that at Marrickville, purchase units price range in a budget. I would like to suggest that at Melbourne city there is also price range not much higher than other place.
  • Kris | 06 Jul 2012, 01:12 AM Agree 0
    Hi all, I might be a bit late on this one, but was just perusing the posts and felt the need to comment.

In my opinion, if you are looking for strong capital growth and reasonable yields in Sydney, then you should go west. The Blacktown LGA is one of the fastest growing in NSW, and Penrith is up there too I believe. In my opinion, the market in this part of Sydney is still affordable and therefore has room to grow. With increasing demand over the coming years, I think we'll see some good capital growth on well-located property in these areas.

Cheers
    Kris
Post a reply