Allowing email notices is a positive step for residential tenancy agreements

By |
While some people within the Victorian real estate industry have expressed concern about the state government’s move to legislate the use of electronic methods of communication in residential tenancy agreements, on body is welcoming the change with open arms.

The Real Estate Institute of Victoria (REIV) believes the move will greatly increase the effectiveness of communication between landlords, property managers and tenants and result in more harmonious relationships.

REIV chief executive officer Enzo Raimondo said the current legislation, such as the requirement that a notice of entry be given to tenants by post, has become outdated.

“The current legislation is no longer relevant. A tenant may now wait up to a week to receive a notice in the post, which is redundant and impractical. The proposed changes, which would allow communcation such as notices of entry to be issued via email, will enable greater communication between stakeholders.” Raimondo said.

“Timely and effective communication between tenants, property managers and landlords will go a long way towards improving these important relationships,” he said.

While some organisations, such as the Tenants Union of Victoria, have concerns about the effectiveness and formality of using email as a communication tool between the parties in a residential tenancy agreement, Raimondo said a move to more contemporary communication methods will provide more safeguards to ensure notices have been received.

“The change is a positive one for all parties, including tenants. An email allows for a ‘read receipt’ to ensure that the notification is received,” he said.

“With a posted letter, it is far more difficult to know whether it has reached its intended destination. The changes are long overdue and the Victorian Government’s move to amend the legislation is definitely welcomed by industry.”

Can you afford to buy in this suburb? Find out how much you can borrow

Top Suburbs : emerald , westbrook , westmead , toowong , homebush

go back

Get help financing your investment

Do you need help finding the right loan for your investment?

When investing in property, it is important to make sure that you not only have the lowest available rate that you can get, but also have the correct loan features for your needs.

Just fill in a few details below and we'll then arrange for a local expert Aussie Mortgage Broker to contact you and work out what features or types of loans are right for your needs. We'll even help with the paperwork. Plus, our mortgage broking service is at no cost to you.

Why does  Aussie need your personal information?    How does Aussie keep your information secure?
Aussie is a trade mark of AHL Investments Pty Ltd. Aussie is a partly-owned subsidiary of the Commonwealth Bank of Australia ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL and Australian Credit Licence 234945.
© 2016 AHL Investments Pty Ltd ABN 27 105 265 861 Australian Credit Licence 246786.

How soon would you like a mortgage?
What is your Annual Household Income i $
Do you currently own any Investment Properties?
Do you own your own residence?
How much equity do you have in all your current properties?
First Name
Last Name
Where do you live?
What number can we reach you on?
E-mail address
We value your privacy and treat all your information seriously - you can check out our privacy policy here