Ever wondered which suburbs are the most popular as home bases for the highest-earning Australians?
Well, thanks to the ATO’s latest Taxation Statistics (2011-12), which were released this week, now you can find out.
The data, which only covers those who report their taxable income honestly, shows the average taxable income broken down by postcode.
Further, it features the top (and bottom) 10 postcodes for those taxable incomes nationally and for each state.
While the suburbs in each postcode are listed, the ATO does not break the data down any further.
It is perhaps no surprise to find that the areas favoured by the highest earners tend to fit into the exclusive, prestige suburb category.
Nationally, attractive, leafy waterside suburbs in Sydney rule the roost. Of the top 10 postcodes nationally, seven are in Sydney (NSW).
Of the remaining three postcodes, two are in Victoria – one in Melbourne, the other nearby on the Mornington
Peninsula – and one in WA, in Perth
The national top 10 postcodes and suburb groupings are:
- NSW – 2027: Darling Point, Edgecliff, Hmas Rushcutters, Point Piper
- WA – 6011: Cottesloe, Peppermint Grove
- VIC – 314: Hawksburn, Toorak
- VIC – 3944: Portsea
- NSW – 2088: Mosman, Spit Junction
- NSW – 2030: Dover Heights, Hmas Watson, Rose Bay North, Vaucluse, Watsons Bay
- NSW – 2063: Northbridge
- NSW – 2023: Bellevue Hill
- NSW – 2110: Hunters Hill, Woolwich
- NSW – 2025: Woollahra
In the states not featured in the national top 10, the top earning postcodes are:
- QLD: 4007 - Ascot, Hamilton, Hamilton Central
- SA: 5061 - Hyde Park, Malvern, Unley
- TAS: 7005 - Dynnyrne, Lower Sandy Bay, University of Tasmania
- NT: 885 - Alyangula
- ACT: 2603- Forrest, Griffith, Manuka, Red Hill
Can you afford to buy in this suburb? Find out how much you can borrow
Top Suburbs :
Get help with your investment property
Do you need help finding the right loan for your investment?
When investing in property, it is important to make sure that you not only have the lowest available rate that you can get, but also have the correct loan features for your needs.
Just fill in a few details below and we'll then arrange for a local Aussie Mortgage Broker to contact you and work out what features or types of loans are right for your needs. We'll even help with the paperwork. Plus and appointment is free.
We value your privacy and treat all your information seriously - you can check out