Population growth slows in 2010

By |

Australia's annual population growth rate slowed to 1.5% in 2010, down from the 2008 high of 2.2%.

New figures from the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) have revealed that AUstralia's population grew by 325,500 people in 2010 to reach a total of 22.4m. This fall continues the slide in population growth from the peak levels of 2008, and is the lowest growth since 2006.

Net overseas migration accounted for 53% of the 2010 growth, with the remaining 47% due to natural increase. The ABS added that net overseas migration  continued to decline, with 2010 figures was 35% lower than that for December 2009.

Western Australia continued to record the fastest population growth rate at 2.1%, while Tasmania and the Northern Territory recorded the slowest growth rates (0.8%). The growth rates for each state were as follows:

  • New South Wales: 1.2%
  • Victoria: 1.6%
  • Queensland: 1.7%
  • South Australia: 1%
  • Western Australia: 2.1%
  • Tasmania: 0.8%
  • Northern Territory: 0.8%
  • Australian Capital Territory: 2%

Whether you are looking to buy your first home, move home, refinance, or invest in property, a mortgage broker can help. Access loans from all the major lenders, get help with paperwork – plus there is no charge for this service. Get help from a local mortgage broker

Top Suburbs : westbrook , sunshine , mortdale , greenwood , queens park

go back

Get help financing your investment

Do you need help finding the right loan for your investment?

When investing in property, it is important to make sure that you not only have the lowest available rate that you can get, but also have the correct loan features for your needs.

Just fill in a few details below and we'll then arrange for a local expert Aussie Mortgage Broker to contact you and work out what features or types of loans are right for your needs. We'll even help with the paperwork. Plus, our mortgage broking service is at no cost to you.

How soon would you like a mortgage?
What is your Annual Household Income i $
Do you currently own any Investment Properties?
Do you own your own residence?
How much equity do you have in all your current properties?
First Name
Last Name
Where do you live?
What number can we reach you on?
E-mail address
We value your privacy and treat all your information seriously - you can check out our privacy policy here