Variable loans continue to dominate market

By |

Recent cuts to fixed rate loan interest rates have not loosened the stranglehold variable rate product hold on the mortgage market.

Figures from Mortgage Choice indicate that, while demand for fixed rate loans increased in August, it only increased from 2% to 2.7% of the market – while variable products account for the remaining 97.3%.

Standard and basic variable loans accounted for the lion's share of loans settled by Mortgage Choice in August, with 49.6% and 42.6% of the market respectively. Line of credit loans rose to 4.6% of approvals in August, up from 3.9% the previous month.

Mortgage Choice senior corporate affairs manager Kristy Sheppard said the slight increase is "probably due to two factors".

"Talk of lenders planning to increase mortgage interest rates outside of the Reserve Bank's cash rate cycle has been escalating in the past couple of months and I'm guessing that has had some impact on the decision making process of new home loan customers," she said. "Another strong influence would be the relatively small distance between interest rates on a number of fixed and variable home loans."

She attributed the popularity of standard variable loans to the feature-filled professional packages attached to many of them.

With interest rates at their lowest for more than 50 years, there are some great rates available. The best thing to do is to compare rates from all the lenders. Let us help take the leg work out of doing this - Compare Home Loans now

Top Suburbs : werribee , the basin , west rockhampton , coolbellup , rockville

go back

Get help with your investment property



Do you need help finding the right loan for your investment?


When investing in property, it is important to make sure that you not only have the lowest available rate that you can get, but also have the correct loan features for your needs.

Just fill in a few details below and we'll then arrange for a local Aussie Mortgage Broker to contact you and work out what features or types of loans are right for your needs. We'll even help with the paperwork. Plus and appointment is free.

How soon would you like a mortgage?
What is your Annual Household Income i $
Do you currently own any Investment Properties?
Do you own your own residence?
How much equity do you have in all your current properties?
First Name
Last Name
Where do you live?
What number can we reach you on?
E-mail address
We value your privacy and treat all your information seriously - you can check out our privacy policy here