How long does it usually take to get approval?
This might vary according to the features of your property and whether there are any complex issues involved, such as if the property is subject to overland flow during certain rain events. In some councils your project might need to be publicly advertised or notified. If there are any objections, this might prolong the process. The average is six to eight months.
What are the common requirements for applications?
All councils are different, but there are a lot of common threads in what they require development applications to have. Generally speaking, most councils want applicants to submit:
- Their councils official application form, complete with your signature as owner of the land
- Details of the subdivision including the land’s existing use
- a Statement of Environmental Effects (SEE), which details any expected impact of the development on the environment, adjoining premises or the public
- Plans showing the proposed new lot’s relation to adjoining premises and streets
- Neighbour notification plans are required in some cases
In addition, council may require your application to be supported by any number of reports by an expert. These often include:
- Plans addressing privacy
- A statement describing how the proposal will minimise negative impacts to heritage items (in cases where part of the building needs to be knocked down to form the new lot)
- A Stormwater Management Plan
- Flood Study/Flood Analysis Report
- Geotechnical and Hydrogeologic Report
- Arborist report, covering tree management and root mapping
Can you afford to buy in this suburb? Find out how much you can borrow
Top Suburbs :
Get help financing your investment
Do you need help finding the right loan for your investment?
When investing in property, it is important to make sure that you not only have the lowest available rate that you can get, but also have the correct loan features for your needs.
Just fill in a few details below and we'll then arrange for a local expert Aussie Mortgage Broker to contact you and work out what features or types of loans are right for your needs. We'll even help with the paperwork. Plus, our mortgage broking service is at no cost to you.
We value your privacy and treat all your information seriously - you can check out