Investment criteria - city location
If you're set to buy a property in the big smoke, make sure your potential property investment the following criteria:
• Inner city properties within 10km of the CBD - the closer the better
• Quality transport infrastructure (mainly train stations and arterial road networks, but may also include ferries and/or buses)
• Properties with features that are not easily replicated, such as waterfront homes, properties adjacent to national parks, properties on larger blocks of land than surrounding properties
• Demolition control areas - these areas are typified by character housing that can't be knocked down, which means the potential for new development in the suburb is extremely limited
• Urban renewal areas - urban renewal has a demonstrated stimulatory effect on property prices, and the earlier you invest in these areas, the greater the growth potential in both rents and values
• Inner city areas with a large employment base within the suburb, or in adjacent suburbs - such as properties located in close proximity to large hospitals
• Properties located near colleges or universities, as these institutions provide a large, captured rental market
• Opportunities where prices appear to be undervalued, particularly when compared to surrounding suburbs
• Properties located near entertainment, dining and recreational precincts
Investment criteria - regional location
Considering a property in a regional location? Check your investment against these criteria to ensure your slice of region real estate stacks up:
• Look for areas that are undersupplied, with few properties and strong demand
• Be aware that the best strategy may be a short-term hold strategy of one to two years, or even shorter in resource driven 'boom towns'
• Investigate areas with strong growth potential - whilst they may not get the highest rental return, capital appreciation might more than make up for this.
• Look for the next sea change or tree change hotspot
• If purchasing a coastal short-term accommodation property, look at ABS tourism numbers to see what the vacancy rate is, and what the overnight rates are
Source: Cameron Kusher, RP Data
Do you have more than $200k in your super fund? You could use your super to buy property - Find out how
Top Suburbs :
Get help with your investment property
Do you need help finding the right loan for your investment?
When investing in property, it is important to make sure that you not only have the lowest available rate that you can get, but also have the correct loan features for your needs.
Just fill in a few details below and we'll then arrange for a local Aussie Mortgage Broker to contact you and work out what features or types of loans are right for your needs. We'll even help with the paperwork. Plus and appointment is free.
We value your privacy and treat all your information seriously - you can check out