According to Ron Tanton, Queensland state manager, Archicentre, the following results from a building and pest inspection can indicate a serious problem with the property. “If you’re buying a property for investment purposes, you have to keep in mind that you have a duty of care to your tenants,” Tanton warns. These problems can cost anything from a few thousand dollars to tens of thousands of dollars to rectify.
1. Concrete cancer: This is the rusting of steel reinforcement inside concrete. As it rusts it expands and creates major structural problems due to ‘spalling’, where the concrete moves away from itself. This can allow water and moisture to seep in and cause further damage. “It can be very, very dangerous if the cancer is left too long,” Tanton says.
2. Termite damage: People have heard the horror stories; even just exploring a property affected by termites to determine the extent of the damage can be expensive.
3. Damp: It can come up from the ground, down from the roof, or from within the walls from leaky plumbing.
4. Timber rot: Damp and other fungi, combined with a lack of ventilation, can result in extensive timber rot.
5. Water damage: This arises from drainage and plumbing issues.
6. Cracking: Cracking can be the result of movement in the house and can signal major structural problems.
7. Roofing: Not many people look at their roof on a regular basis, Tanton says, so a lot of damage can be uncovered in a building report.
8. Hot water system: When a system nears the end of its life, it can cost up to a couple of thousand dollars for removal, replacement, electrical wiring and plumbing.
9. Fungus: If identified, it’s highly likely to be mould, which can develop into a very unhealthy situation as it can cause respiratory problems.
10. Electrical wiring: Several homes have electrical problems that aren’t visible on the surface.
11. Stumps: Rotting or even new, poorly installed stumps will need restumping, which can be an expensive structural problem to fix.
12. Frame damage: Regardless of whether frames are made of timber or metal, their condition can deteriorate and cause major structural issues.
See also on this topic Buyer Beware: Understanding building and pest inspections and Building inspections: Top 10 cover ups and estimated costs
Whether you are looking to buy your first home, move home, refinance, or invest in property, a mortgage broker can help. Access loans from all the major lenders, get help with paperwork – plus there is no charge for this service. Get help from a local mortgage broker
Top Suburbs :
Get help financing your investment
Do you need help finding the right loan for your investment?
When investing in property, it is important to make sure that you not only have the lowest available rate that you can get, but also have the correct loan features for your needs.
Just fill in a few details below and we'll then arrange for a local expert Aussie Mortgage Broker to contact you and work out what features or types of loans are right for your needs. We'll even help with the paperwork. Plus, our mortgage broking service is at no cost to you.
We value your privacy and treat all your information seriously - you can check out