Tax Q&A: Am I eligible for the CGT exemption?

By Contributor | 01 Nov 2018


Question: I bought and lived in a property in Melbourne in 2009. I then moved to Sydney and rented a unit, while I rented out my house in Melbourne from 2013 to November 2017.

The tenant in the Melbourne property moved out in November 2017, and I sold it in December 2017.

Am I eligible for the CGT exemption? Did I have to physically move back into the house in Melbourne at the time of sale? I have received conflicting views.  At the moment, I have no other property.

Regards, Albert


Answer: As a refresher on the background of capital gains tax exemption rules, your main residence (yourhome) is generally exempt from capital gains tax. Full exemption is received if you move in immediately on settlement and the property has a dwelling on it. You must also occupy and live in the property as your home.

You can treat land as your main residence for up to four years before the dwelling becomes your main residence if you move into the dwelling as soon as practicable after completion of construction and then continue to use it as your main residence for at least three months.

A dwelling is no longer your main residence once you stop living in it. However, you can choose to continue treating a dwelling as your main residence for capital gains tax purposes even if you no longer live in it.

Generally, you can treat the dwelling as your main residence for up to six years if it is used to produce income, or indefinitely if it is not used to produce income. You can’t treat any other dwelling as your main residence during that period (except for a limited time if you’re moving house). You can’t make this choice for a period before a dwelling first becomes your main residence.

In the event that you have multiple properties, you make the choice of which dwelling will be your main residence when you prepare your tax return for the income year in which a capital gains tax event happens to the dwelling. The best tax outcome is then chosen from among these options.

With this in mind, as you own no other property you do not have to choose your main residence from among different properties. While you moved out to Sydney in 2013, this means you can retain the main residence exemption status on the Melbourne property during your absence between 2013 and 2017, as you do not have another dwelling as your home – you were merely a tenant in the Sydney unit over that period.

"As you moved into your Melbourne property on purchase in 2009, you will have access to the six year absence rule for the period when you rented it out to generate income in 2013."

You do not have to move back in before a sale to receive the main residence exemption under the six-year rule. In fact, moving back in creates a new starting point in the calculation of capital gains tax and therefore restarts a new six-year period for exemption.

Need to know
- A property can still be your main residence even when rented out.
- There’s no need to move back into a property to claim CGT exemption.
- A property becomes your main residence only if you move in upon purchase.

Ken Raiss is director of
Metropole Wealth Advisory


Have you got tax queries regarding your property investments and wealth creation strategies? Our experts are on hand to answer them.
If you would like your tax question answered in our magazine or on our website, please email your question to:


Top Suburbs : mortdale , padbury , chermside , campsie , tuart hill


Get help with your investment property

Do you need help finding the right loan for your investment?

When investing in property, it is important to make sure that you not only have the lowest available rate that you can get, but also have the correct loan features for your needs.

Just fill in a few details below and we'll then arrange for a local mortgage broker to contact you and work out what features or types of loans are right for your needs. We'll even help with the paperwork. Plus an appointment is free.

How soon would you like a mortgage?
What is your Annual Household Income i $
Do you currently own any Investment Properties?
Do you own your own residence?
How much equity do you have in all your current properties?
First Name
Last Name
Where do you live?
What number can we reach you on?
E-mail address
We value your privacy and treat all your information seriously - you can check out our privacy policy here