Calls for property professionals to face tougher education and training standards

By |

Those wishing to work in the real estate industry in New South Wales should face tougher entry standards according to the state’s peak real estate body.

Real Estate Institute of New South Wales (REINSW) president John Cunningham said the organisation believes the majority of issues that attract the attention of the regulators and aggravate consumers would be resolved by tougher education standards.

“We suggest a higher entry level education standard,” Cunningham said.

“It not only better equips the new entrant for the profession, it also allows that new entrant the opportunity to commit themselves to the disciplines required by the profession. This will then, it is submitted, positively impact on a higher retention rate and increase the aggregate competencies of the profession,” he said.

Cunningham’s comments come as NSW Fair Trading currently undertakes a review into the training requirements of property professionals in the state, including real estate, agents, buyer’s agents, property managers and strata managers.

The review will consider whether those working in the industry should have to undertake a period similar to an apprentice ship before being qualified and whether on the job training should be made more rigorous after qualification, something the REINSW has called for.

“REINSW has also called for additional on the job training. Under the Institute’s suggested educational regime the student will take seven units of competence into the workplace and receive an additional 17 units of competence within the context of practical application and repetition,” Cunningham said.

“The complete education, which involves both classroom and on the job training, particularly in a service industry such as real estate is not so much desirable, but essential. Without it the service provider is ill-equipped to respond to the demands and disciplines of the profession.”

Do you have more than $200k in your super fund? You could use your super to buy property - Find out how

Top Suburbs : geelong west , wallsend , coolbellup , ferntree gully , flemington


Get help with your investment property

Do you need help finding the right loan for your investment?

When investing in property, it is important to make sure that you not only have the lowest available rate that you can get, but also have the correct loan features for your needs.

Just fill in a few details below and we'll then arrange for a local Aussie Mortgage Broker to contact you and work out what features or types of loans are right for your needs. We'll even help with the paperwork. Plus an appointment is free.

How soon would you like a mortgage?
What is your Annual Household Income i $
Do you currently own any Investment Properties?
Do you own your own residence?
How much equity do you have in all your current properties?
First Name
Last Name
Where do you live?
What number can we reach you on?
E-mail address
We value your privacy and treat all your information seriously - you can check out our privacy policy here