Your Investment Property forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Will buying an investment property with my super jeopardise transition to retirement?

Notify me of new replies via email
Coco24 | 20 Feb 2018, 09:07 AM Agree 0
I am considering purchasing an investment property using my Super. I am 58 but planning to keep working for at least another 7 years. Will investing my super in property jeopardise transitioning to retirement at 65?
  • Sonny | 13 May 2018, 09:59 PM Agree 0
    Hi Coco, like with any asset in super, property has its risks and benefits, which should be considered carefully and accepted with a member's risk attitude. That said the residential property market has received an average of 8% pa each year for the past 10 years and if you've invested in a great property in Melbourne or Sydney, that would be increased much more. One of the drawbacks from property is liquidity, meaning if you need access to fund, which at retirement, you'll most likely need this, property is not as easy to sell like shares or any other asset class and can take months to receive your cash. That's why you shouldn't hold you eggs in the one basket.

In all, i think property is a great asset to invest in and have dealt with many SMSF property purchases being a mortgage broker. Like with any big purchase seek professional advice and dealing with SMSF's have a chat with an accredited accountant or a licensed financial adviser.
    Happy to chat further if you like. Cheers, Sonny
Post a reply